The building housing the Offices of the Landscape and Cultural Heritage Direzione Regionale of Friuli Venezia Giulia and the Archaeological ,Architectonic, Landscape, Historical , Artistic and Ethno-anthropological Heritage Soprintendenza of Friuli Venezia Giulia is located in Piazza Libertà 7, near the railway station, at the beginning of Viale Miramare.
This building is known as Palazzo Economo, from the name of its first owner who has been identified by most scholars as Baron Giovanni Economo (1834-1921). In 1884 he decided to have his residence built there and purchased the land from Enrico Reiter who ran a lumber yard in the area.
The building was constructed between 1885 and 1887 by the architect Giovanni Scalmanini. In the original plan, the warehouses were located on the ground floor with offices on the first floor. However between 1908 and 1910 the offices were converted into homes. Finally, in 1973, the building was purchased by the State.
At present, as already mentioned, the second floor of Palazzo Economo is home to the Landscape and Cultural Heritage Direzione Regionale of Friuli Venezia Giulia. The second floor also houses the Library and the offices of the Archaeological Soprintendenza. The Architectonic, Landscape and Historical Artistic and Ethno-anthropological Heritage Soprintendenza offices of Friuli Venezia Giulia are located on the first floor.
How to get there
The Seat of the Direzione Regionale is located in Piazza della Libertà 7 in Trieste and can be reached :
- On foot from the main railway station, Piazza della Libertà
- By bus from Ronchi dei Legionari airport, suburban line 51